My innermost secrets - yeah right.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Catching Up

It has been a busy few weeks. I am taking a photography certificate program and I have been spending quite a bit of time shooting in my community. In the Learning to See Creatively class, the idea is to look at things differently or enhance an everyday object in an artistic way. Each class, we present our assignment and discuss our work as a group.  There are some very talented people in the class and I feel I am holding my own. Tomorrow is our last class and I have to admit, I am having a very difficult time finding two 'killer shots'. I think I will use a portrait I of a young family member and who knows what else. Here are a few of my photos:
Playing with light and shadows

Playing with contrast and intensity.

Night Writing with Cam
I noticed I am drawn to bold geometric lines. I will show more work in future posts. 

The closing reception for the annual DAFA Members show was held Monday. Here is a link to a slideshow created of the exhibit. I was the scribe for our juror, Lesli Robertson and listening to her comments on the various pieces, I learned valuable information that I will be able to consider in future work.  

Speaking of future work. I created 'Messy Geometry' for the Spirit is Ageless: 2012 Art Contest, Exhibit and Event at The Point, Center for Art and Education. It is a combination of hand dyed cotton, screen printing, fused silk and free motion quilting. I like to use Adirondack Spray Wash as a quick dye. I think the colors are vivid and bright and they have warm colors I am drawn to. I also created the screens used for the grid and dot pattern. The dot pattern was created using a technique I learned in Quilting Arts Magazine. I used sheer fabric, heat set vinyl and two different hole punches.  Cam named this piece, the grid reminded her of geometry but nothing really lined up well.  It takes me forever to come up with a name that suits the piece. Names usually have to grow on me so a lot of my work is untitled.

Messy Geometry

Detail of Messy Geometry
 I  Main Street Art Festival in Fort Worth. WOW! This is a juried event and when I am able to attend, I look forward to seeing Jeff Zachman's kinetic sculptures. This year his son,Carl, also an artist, was accepted. You can see the family resemblance. Here are a couple of pictures of the 'side show' activities.  Here is a street performer who entertained the children jumping over hurdles and telling stories. There was also a musician playing an instrument from West Africa. I don't remember what he was talking about - however I do remember he played classical music on that thing - beautiful!

Crossing over a 3 inch hurdle

Street musician
 I have been dyeing fabric using IDye from Jacquard. I will post my results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment